On Feb 28, 2009, at 2:54 PM, Andrei Herasimchuk wrote:
While it is personal opinion, it has been my experience. I encourage you to go create a counter argument, and I'll even point to it from the page as a countering opinion.

I can't say I personally agree with a number of your assessments, especially the grading of methods like Paper, Static click throughs, and Flash on how much they add/remove from the overall timeline.

This is not only based on my on personal experience of 6 years of having run a design research and product development studio (Messagefirst), working as a lead designer for 3 product companies in Boston (4 years), work as a design lead at an ad agency (1.5 years) and working for an international company providing design services for small to fortune 500 companies (2 years).

Additionally, it doesn't line up with the recent survey results I ran evaluating how well 6 different tools performed for 13 different characteristics, many of which overlap yours, and to which over 100 people responded. I'll be including these results in my book, which will be out later this year. And yes, I'll make them public before that as well.

Now, that being said, I do applaud you for taking the time to put this together. I think the fundamental flaw in the grading, however, is that it lacks context and dimension. Stating that paper prototyping doesn't save time, but can often add time to the overall timeline is something I cannot agree with at all. The mere fact that you're prototyping at all shaves time and effort off the overall development process, unless you're really screwing something up.

A proper assessment would be to have a control group and a number of additional groups using various methods, then outside those methods have them all use exactly the same development model to accurately assess the overall cost savings of time and effort. But I don't think that's very realistic.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@messagefirst.com
AIM:    twar...@mac.com