On Mar 6, 2009, at 6:41 AM, David Malouf wrote:

I really feel you folks are confusing mock-up with prototype.
IMHO, if I can't use it, it ain't a prototype.

exactly. If it is not something that a user can actually engage with, then its a sketch, or wireframe or picture. If there is no behavioral dynamic that emerges between user and system, then they are just staring at a picture.

Maybe, human as
computer paper-prototypes fit the bill, but otherwise, a series of
screens, are mock-ups and an interactive click-through is a
prototype.

The distinction is important b/c the line lets us know what level of
data we can achieve from each. Otherwise, if everything is a
prototype there is no means of discerning when to use what tool when
in what part of the process.

Ya know there is a reason why there are 20 words for "snow" in
Intuit/Eskimo. Sometimes, being discreet allows for more accurate
communication. The mass rush to generalize everything in the UX
community is really becoming annoying.

-- dave