Thank you for your thoughts...

I cannot help but think that we're missing a much-needed tool here
for beginners who need to make a complex query.

Shopping for cars, televisions, houses, vacations... All require this
method. People shopping are probably beginners, since they probably
don't make these purchases daily.

For a car, for example, I could conceivably  care about all kinds of
things, 10s, if not 100s:
- color
- MPG
- horse power
- make / model
- where it's made
- sun roof
- leather seats
- etc. etc.

I wonder if the solution musn't by necessity start with a query and
then break that down into "The Filters we Think You Care About" /
More filters (maybe the more filters is even a query field). In that
way, beginners aren't confronted with a complex filter they don't
recognize...

I'll post here if I find or come up with any solutions that are
useful.