"I am redesigning a custom file browser for an app."

 - In the name of user experience, stop right there, turn back, and
don't ever think about doing that again.
Reason? You may try as hard as you want now, but in a few years, new
version of OS will come, improving the common dialogs, and your
app's file dialogs will look outdated, and users will be annoyed
that whole lot of features is missing.

For example, I often copy the path I need, and want to paste it into
Vista's file dialog address bar, instead, I need to dig through the
filesystem one directory at a time, because some smartass thought
that subclassing WIndows XP dialog will bring his users the ultimate
experience. It will not.