To innovate or not to innovate is a decision that should hinge on the
innovation adding value to the business/product.

Measuring "adding value" is a little tricky, for a business it seems to be
simply does the innovation move business objectives forward or not.

I've been involved in many projects with massive "innovations". Sometimes
the "adding value" was not very straight forward at all.

For example I worked on one project where we designed prototypes that were
so impressive, the company was able to gain massive amounts of financing and
scare the hell out of their competitors. In the end they acquired their
competitors and now are the leader in their field. From an engineering
perspective, this company had real trouble executing on these innovations.

PS. Successful innovation is never easy, unless you're very very lucky, at
least that's what I've experienced.

Rich

--
Joseph Rich Rogan