Hi Everyone
I know this has come up before, the question of how we can play Muds on the Mac. After doing a lot of experiments, I now have a method of playing Muds using OS X and Voiceover, and I thought I'd share it here. I use tintin++ in a terminal window to play. The reason I focused on this method is that tt has always been my favorite Mud client, and I had a lot of triggers and such that I didn't want to have to redo, and terminal reads reasonably well with Voiceover to begin with. Point-by-point, here's what I consider the important issues and how I address them. Others might have different priorities and different viewpoints.
auto-reading:
Terminal's auto-reading is mostly sufficient for mudding, as long as you keep two important things in mind: any text that is identical and on the same line doesn't get read, and everything else will auto-read as long as it's not a direct result of your actions. The only time the first point is an issue is when your prompt doesn't change, and I, personally, don't want to here the prompt read every single time anyway. More important in my mind is the second point, meaning that anything that happens as a direct result of your pressing return to acknowledge the command will not auto-read. So, if you go north, the room name and other such things will not auto-read. However, if there's a delay, of even a half second or so, between when you press enter and any text appearing, auto-reading will kick in again. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I've grown to like it, to be honest.
sound triggers:
If you use tintin, in order to have sounds played as part of a trigger or alias, you'll need a command-line audio player, and one is not installed with OS X by default. However, source for one is included in the XCode developer tools, and it can easily be compiled with a few commands. Finally, VO's keys can take some getting used to while playing Muds, and I'd recommend making use of the numpad commander to get a layout that suits you.
Other notes:
This is not restricted to tintin, any unix-based console Mud client will follow this pattern, so if you prefer something else feel free to use it. The auto-reading and other behaviors will be the same, though how you handle audio files and triggers will, of course, vary. Also, this will only work in Leopard, as Tiger has serious issues with reading terminal which prevent it from being very useful for playing Muds. Feel free to contact me if you need any help or want to try this and aren't sure about something.

Hope this was of some help. As I said, this is what works for me, it may not for anyone else.