Henrik Sundberg wrote:
Yes, I think I understand this. But I don't understand why the
doc-formats are of no concern.
Can doc-filters be GPL:ed? Why? Are they licensed with more freedom?

Microsoft is not claiming patents on any processes necessary to read or write .doc files. They just keep the format closed, change it on every release, and leave you to guess how it works.

If reversed engineering is allowed in this case, how could any format
license be legally valid?

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
DEMAND __  __  __  http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/
      |  ||__)|__|\ |          - Tell Microsoft to support it
      |__||   |__| \|DOCUMENT  - Sign the petition