OO.o 3.0.1; XP Pro SP3, P4, 3.7 GHz, 1.5Gig RAM.,
lots of drive space, etc..

I am confused and perhaps someone here can
straighten me out as to whether this was my own
aberration or that of OO.o.

I checked Help, About, and found that I had
version 3.0 of OO.o.
So, I went ahead and downloaded 3.0.1.
   The installation went "funny" is the only way I
can think of to describe it, but it worked.
   Instead of past windows about keeping current
settings, did I want it to manage all the MS
Office files, etc., all I had was an installation
box with a very slow progress bar that over and
over did various things according to the message
where it explained what it was doing.
   It took what seemed like forever, but finally
it finished.

I did a restart, like I always do, whether it's
necessary or not, and started Oo.o.  Looked in the
Programs menu and it was there, as expected, along
with my older 3.0 install.  Started the Control
Panel or whatever it's called, got a welcome
message or something I forget now, started Writer,
all seemed well.  Installation looked OK, and
hashes checked out fine earlier, BTW.  It still
seemed awfully odd that the ONLY thing shown for
the install though, was that one dialog box with
the repeating progress bar as various things
happened; no questions for keeping settings,
taking over MS Office associations, etc..  Nothing
but that one dialog box.

So for grins, I opened version 3.0 which I
purposely didn't uninstall, just in case .1 had
something kinky in it on me.  Lo and behold, Help
About showed my old 3.0 as 3.0.1!!  Nahh, can't
be, I said to myself, so I turned around and used
my old desktop shortcuts to open it.  It was STILL
3.0.1; none of my shortcuts led to the older 3.0
version anymore.

Is/was it just me, or is that what should have
happened with 3.0.1?  I can't possibly see how it
would be me, since I specifically checked my rev
before doing the .1 download, so it must be the
program did that; right?  Huh?  lol, I am
confused!

I suppose it could have been me somehow, but ...
darned if I can see how!

And while I'm at it here, I want to unload on a
huge annoyance, nay a very real frustration with
the download and install, although they worked OK.
>From start to finish, version 3.0.1 is labelled
just *3.0* in ALL windows, dialogs, etc., the sole
exception being ONLY the Help About window!
   Seeing so much 3.0 caused me to open another
browser instance and go to the download again, and
verify that I had actually chosen the correct
download.  I had.  So I allowed it to complete,
and it was indeed .1, but there was absolutely no
way to tell that until I could fire up OO.o and
look at Help About.
   IT SHOULD BE DIFFERENTIATED AT LEAST IN THE
DOWNLOAD TITLES AND ANYWHERE THE VERSION SHOWS!

Sorry to vent, but this latest download has been
an awful annoyance and frustration, way too much
for such a great application!  IMO it's completely
unacceptable.  Unless of course, you're going to
tell me it couldn't have happened that way, and I
am all wet; in that case I guess it's only a minor
annoyance<G>.

Really curious to see the responses to this.
Please don't guess if you aren't some kind of
expert or guru status; I'm not interested in
theories unless it's the only way to explain it.

TIA,

Twayne