> Good points re the memory issues. Add to this the "superman syndrome"
> and this is pressing reason enough to partition your work time slots and
> breaks.

> Carl

> Superman syndrome. Idea from the 80s whereby you have a full size
> cardboard cut-out of Superman standing behind you, over one of your
> shoulders.

This is the one I knew as the "Rubber plant effect", in which
explaining your problem to a potted plant was helpful in clarifying
it. (Apparently it was earlier the "expert programmer effect", and the
potted plant originally used was a rubber plant called Dijkstra.)

>            Whenever you get a problem, you explain what it is to
> Superman (the cut-out) and, in the vast majority of cases you then see a
> solution to the articulated problem. There appears to be two reasons for
> this.

Another way that it may help is that, when your idea of the situation
splits into several possibilities, you either have to pick one to
articulate it, or you have to articulate that it might be one of
several things, and perhaps list them, and this helps to clarify which
of them it is.

__John