Focusing on the reasons for motivation is indeed a very interesting
question. Couple of thoughts on the idea:

1. Some people end up loving doing what they feel they can do. The
beginner [musician / programmer / sculptor] who tries his/her hand at
something and is encouraged by the result, is often the amateur who
practices alone and sometimes, but not necessarily, the professional. A
lot of open source programmers contribute out of passion / interest to
projects long before they make a living from them. Do you like
programming because you're already good at it or do you become good at
it because you like it to start off with?

2. There is also an interesting question about whether you can really
"motivate" people to like something or "ignite professional passions" on
demand. While this is akin to the philosophical stone for any computing
program with low enrollment, it seems to me that this becomes more
marketing than education. As in many marketing schemes, you end up
building the product which satisfies the masses and I don't think that
if the product is education this is a viable dynamics

3. We need indeed to differentiate between the car mechanics, the
professional driver (our "hard core" programmers, CS graduates) and the
casual driver. Today, using a computer means sometimes installing
software, sometimes writing code (macros, small scripts). Look at the
languages embedded in video games to allow players to script the
behavior of game agents. While all of these activities are technically
speaking programming, none of them require formal and in-depth training.
These skills could be taught in computer literacy courses for instance,
should we adopt the same approach for training computing professionals?
I'm not so sure and would tend to say no.

Do we have many example of schools producing neuron surgeons who avoided
bio chemistry in their early years but practiced with "virtual operating
room"(tm) software instead because it was more pleasing / entertaining /
motivating for MD candidates who didn't have a sufficient taste for the
hard parts of their curriculum?

Just my 3 cents and a half :)

Ps: did you notice how talking about programming always bring us to
compare with art, not science or technologies :)