Marian Petre and I have written a paper, to be presented at VL/
HCC 2007, which sets out to describe what kids *actually* want to
program, as opposed to what adults think would be good for them.

Anyone who wants a preview, I'm sure Marian won't mind if I
offer preview copies to anyone who emails me.

Alan

> Hi all
>
> We had a discussion regarding this at PPIG 2007 in Joensuu. In my
> opinion there is too much emphasis on Lego Mindstorms and introducing
> kids to programming using robots. I was at a meeting once where someone
> professed that if you aren't interested in Mindstorms or robots you
> won't be interested in programming, now there was an open mind! Why
> don't we introduce kids to stuff outside of lego and robots e.g. using
> mobile phone metaphors (things a large number of them are all into, in
> Ireland anyway) - moving cursor around the screen or predictive texting
> or a sports metaphor of moving a football player from the corner flag to
> the centre circle. We seem to persist with robots and lego ad nauseam
> without wondering if there is anything else out there that can get the
> basics of programming across to children. Describing something that
> worked for me is fine, but assuming it's going to work for others or
> it's the only way it can work for others is not. I have no doubt that
> lego and robots will work very well for a good number of children but
> shouldn't we begin to experiment with other things. I have looked at a
> lot of research material in novice programming and the same stuff
> appears again and again. Isn't it time we tried something new? Why don't
> we examine this on an inductive basis where we ask students what they
> are interested in and let these interests form the basis for programming
> metaphors.
>
> Regards
>
> Enda
>
> Dr. Enda Dunican
> Lecturer in Computing,
> Dept. of Computing and Networking,
> Institute of Technology Carlow,
> Kilkenny Road,
> Carlow,
> Ireland.
> (Tel:  1-353-(0)59-9170508
> + Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alan Blackwell           Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/afb21/       Phone: +44 (0) 1223 334418