You could still go this route and make the form so that the button is
disabled by default and only gets enabled if JS is on... that circumvents
the "is JS on problem".  I've worked on forms in the past and used this
approach. You have the potential of cutting out the people that have JS
turned off but, you can weigh the cost of that decision.
-Steven

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Douglas Knudsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> My first thought is...disable the submit button after its mashed once.
> My second thought is, some people disable JavaScript.  Now, what type of
> user disables JavaScript?  Would that type of user go 'mash the button
> crazy', does it really matter then?  If so, could use Flash(read Flex).
> Aside from that, maybe some sort of random key deal that you could test
> server side, if the key is inprocess, do nothing, ow process.  But the
> upload issue might still be there as this occurs before your CFM processing
> does.  I might re-factor the UI putting  document uploads on a separate view
> from the data input.
>
> hope the rambling helps... :)
>

> DK
>

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Jeff Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm working on an application where a form is submitted along with
> > various attachments (doc, pdf, xls, etc).  Apparently users are submitting
> > the same request several times and I've been asked to address this issue.
> > At first thought, it seemed quick and simple to me, but as I've started
> > working on it I can't decide exactly how to handle the attachments in
> > associated with the form in the most efficient way.
> >
> > That brings me here.  I was looking for suggestions on how to handle the
> > attachments while I run validation on the db to see if the input from the
> > form already exists in the db.  It seems like something that would be
> > perfect for AJAX to handle, but my AJAX skills are virtually nonexistent.
> > So, without using AJAX (or if you can break it down using AJAX for a novice)
> > how would you handle the situation?
> >
> > The main issue I'm having, is that if I do the validation after the form
> > submission, CF is assigning a temp directory to my attachment file.  So what
> > is submitted as this: "C:\Documents and Settings\JHoward\Desktop\PO Request
> > mods.doc"  ends up as this after submission and validation:
> > "C:\ColdFusion8\runtime\servers\coldfusion\SERVER-INF\temp\wwwroot-tmp\neotmp13963.tmp
> >  "
> > and then when I pass it to the CFFILE, it tells me the file doesn't exist.
> >
> > I'm really just looking at the different ways other people would handle
> > this situation to try and decide so any input would be great.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Jeff

> --
> Douglas Knudsen
> http://www.cubicleman.com
> this is my signature, like it?

Steven Ross
web application & interface developer
http://blog.stevensross.com
[mobile] 404-488-4364 [fax] 267-482-4364
[ AIM / Yahoo! : zeriumsteven ] [googleTalk : nowhiding ]