Also remember the more you have to add stuff to a cookie the longer the
request is going to run because the cookie is submitted on every request. So
right now it might be just a couple of variables but, as
scope inevitably creeps so will the time of every request.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Shane Heasley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  It is a balancing act.  For sites without too many visitors I prefer
> session vars for security and speed.  "Too many" is a function of how much
> memory the server has and if there are multiple sites running on it etc.
> Modern hardware usually has so much memory that you can easily track
> thousands of vars concurrently - if not many more.  However, if a site is
> going to be really high volume I will use a DB or cookies.  If you use
> cookies you will need to check that the user has cookies enabled and if not
> then fall back to Session, or, check out URLSessionFormat()
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shane Heasley
>  307-751-3553
> www.CTek-Media.com
> [image: View Shane Heasley's profile on
> LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/shaneheasley>
>
>  <http://www.ctek-media.com/>

Steven Ross
web application & interface developer
http://blog.stevensross.com
[mobile] 404-488-4364 [fax] (404) 592-6885
[ AIM / Yahoo! : zeriumsteven ] [googleTalk : nowhiding ]