Oh yes, I have tried.  I tried setting it to zero, and also to a high
number.  No dice.  IT always timesout in about 23 seconds or so with this
error:

[FaultEvent fault=[RPC Fault faultString="error"
faultCode="Channel.Call.Failed" faultDetail="NetConnection.Call.Failed:
HTTP: Failed"] messageId="046FE4C6-48BE-2981-5ADF-95C08A1AC4E5" type="fault"
bubbles=false cancelable=true eventPhase=2]

I have also more recently noted a property of message objects called
"timetolive", but am not familiar enough with Flex's messaging to know if
that's any help in this situation.
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/mx/messaging/messages/AbstractMessage.html

-Cameron