Are details on the Broadcom switch controllers openly available?  I did not find
anything on their web site.

Nor did I, but the header file indicates it came from Broadcom:

https://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/tags/kamikaze_7.06/package/switch/src/etc53xx.h

Relevant comment:

/*
* Broadcom Home Gateway Reference Design
* BCM53xx Register definitions
*
* Copyright 2004, Broadcom Corporation
* All Rights Reserved.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS OFFERED "AS IS", AND BROADCOM GRANTS NO WARRANTIES OF ANY
* KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, BY STATUTE, COMMUNICATION OR OTHERWISE. BROADCOM
* SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
* FOR A SPECIFIC PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT CONCERNING THIS SOFTWARE.
* $Id: etc53xx.h,v 1.1 2005/05/14 13:15:46 nbd Exp $
*/