On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:53:19PM -0400, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:
> >
> > It would probably still beat my 4x NIC 1.6 GHz dual-core Atoms
> > (about Pentium 3 level of performance)
>
> You'd be surprised - a dual core Atom is considerably faster than a P3
> at pushing packets, depending on NICs and the specific board. The
> better embedded firewall boards with Atoms can push around 500 Mbps. A
> PE750 would be faster, though takes ~8-9 times as much power.

As I managed to scrounge 4 GByte ECC DDR RAM, a dual-port Intel server
NIC (PCI-X) and had a spare Crucial SSD (instead of a dead 80 GByte
Maxtor that came with the machine orignally) I decided to give it a spin. Just
installed 1.2.3 and upgraded to latest 2.0 beta snapshot.

Wow, in comparison to my Atoms the thing feels like a speed demon.
Boots like demented, the interface is really snappy, including
RRD graphs, which has always been a bit lame -- maybe it's the
switch to 2.0 from 1.3, though.

I think I'm sold on it as my primary firewall, despite the hardware
being ~5 years old. I will, however, keep an Atom box as the second
node in a carp+pfsync failover.

Did I already mention that I really, really like pfSense? ;)