Hi Amos!

Gmail does not quote the last line of the original message before the
response. As a result, your message is messed up.

On Thursday 14 September 2006 15:27, Amos Shapira wrote:
> On 14/09/06, Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Yesterday iglu.org.il (so called Eskimo) stopped responding to HTTP and
> > SSH
> > requests. We had to reboot it. This may have been caused due to lack of
> > memory. What I'd like to do is the following:
>
> Some random thoughts:
>
> 1. I have a 4*256MB SIMMS that were donated to serve as upgrade to its
>
> > memory.
> > I'd like to travel to Actcom and install them.
> >
> > 2. We'd like to configure a 2 GB swap partition. However, I need the RAID
> > array to back up the data on one of the 2 GB swap partitions of the SCSI
> > disks. However, the RAID array is currently completely inactive, and we
> > need
> > to activate it. Lior, can you please step on it?
>
> As a last-resort fall-back line before system crash - maybe consider using
> dynamic swap space allocators like swapd or swapspace:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/swapd
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/swapspace

If we have 3 GB or so of memory, then I don't suppose we'll need more swap.

> (the copyright file should usually point to the upstream site. It appears
> that Eskimo already runs Sarge but these packages are not available there -
> it's about time to upgrade to Etch. I didn't find these packages in
> Backports).

Etch... has Etch been stabilised yet?

> Do you have information on what's hogging the system's memory and for what?
> Possibly a more scalable and stable way to handle the problem should be to
> try to avoid or minimize the memory hog.
> Usually when the system uses so much swap it's already crawling.

Well, we recently switched from ezmlm to using sympa which has a daemon that
consumes about 10% of the memory, and possibly some other things.

> 3. After we have more RAM I'd like to switch from qmail to postfix. This
>
> > will
> > again allow us to say that we run on 100% free software.
> >
> > 4. Perhaps a complete upgrade of Eskimo to a more modern machine with at
> > least
> > up to 64 GB of memory, as well as something faster than a 500 MHz
>
> 64GB memory is going to be expensive.

That's not what I meant sorry. What I meant was that the computer model could
support up to at least 64 GB of memory in case we'll need to scale to this
amount of memory in the future.

> As for the 500MHz it sounds indeed
> poor but what's the CPU utilization like right now? What does it choke on?

Well, the machine seems to be responsive enough. But we may need more CPU to
serve dynamic content.

> > Pentium-III, and a bigger RAID array is in order. We can donate the old
>
> > machine to serve as a server to a school or whatever.
>
> Or a backup server (unless it's too costly/rude to leave it on Actcom's
> floor... )

I said "or whatever".

> Thanks for taking the effort to keep this machine going.

You're welcome. Eskimo is my baby. :-)

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish