hello,

i have a very basic pure-python package and script that i would like
to distribute as a noarch rpm using distutils.  i am using FC5 as my
development platform and have prepared a setup.py that properly builds
and installs my application.

the first problem i have is that the bdist_rpm command results in an
%install section as follows:
%install
python setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed
--root=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT --record=INSTALLED_FILES

the trouble here with that %install section is that the python modules
get bytecompiled and thus turned into native code.  i'd prefer for
that not to happen, so i have written my own install.sh script and i
provide that to my python setup.py call as follows:

$ python setup.py bdist_rpm --spec-only  --install-script /path/to/install.sh

my install.sh passes the --optimize 0 and --no-compile arguments to
distutils, resulting in no .pyc or .pyo files being installed in my
RPM_BUILD_ROOT.  the contents of my install.sh are as follows:

python setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed
--root=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT --record=INSTALLED_FILES --optimize 0 --no-compile

i thought that would result in no byte compiled files but
unfortunately i was wrong.  i'm not sure what's causing it, but
rpmbuild ends up calling brp-python-bytecompile to compile the .py
files.  i noticed in the ChangeLog for rpm the following:
  - force *.py->*.pyo byte code compilation with brp-python-bytecompile.

so it appears to me as tho there is no way to assemble a noarch RPM
using distutils.  does that sound accurate to you all?  or are those
folks out there using distutils and an old version of rpm (prior to
2005) that are able to assemble noarch RPMs?

-c

--
WeatherNet Observations for station:  home
Temperature: 54.80F             Pressure: 30.02in;