On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 09:23:30AM +0000, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> I'm sure I have read this somewhere, but my search skills are failing
> me.  When easy installing a package this goes wrong:
>
> $ bin/easy_install ../foo.bar/dist/foo.bar-1.0.3.tar.gz
> Processing foo.bar-1.0.3.tar.gz
> error: Couldn't find a setup script in ../foo.bar/dist/foo.bar-1.0.3.tar.gz
>
> The cause is that there is a directory foo.bar-1.0.3/.../baz for which
> the length of this path is exactly 100 characters.  When I release a
> version 1.1 instead, this path is reduced to 98 characters and
> easy_install happily installs it.
>
> Does anyone know which version of setuptools or easy_install
> introduced this problem or fixes it?  Or a link where this is
> explained?

Which Python version is this?  I seem to remember some bug in stdlib's
tarfile module that couldn't handle paths longer than 100 characters.

Google + bugs.python.org tell me there were several bugs

  http://bugs.python.org/issue1583506
  http://bugs.python.org/issue1509889
  http://bugs.python.org/issue1609958
  http://bugs.python.org/issue1719898

Marius Gedminas
--
Always forgive your enemies.  Nothing annoys them more.
                -- Oscar Wilde