Tarek Ziadé wrote:
If you look at install_egg_info, it will add the Python version

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Lib/distutils/command/install_egg_info.py

I am not sure either this should be kept. I don't see the rationale
either, since
sys.version is known at runtime, it seems superfluous.

Maybe it should be deprecated.

I having the same problem with the version : since it is already
located in PKG-INFO,
there's no need to have it in the folder name;

So maybe the final version could be:

    - zlib
    - zlib.egg-info/
        PKG-INFO
        MANIFEST
        RECORD
And while we are at it:

could the egg-info directory be put somewhere else (as a configuration/command line option)?

It's meta information about the packages and not python code. And when doing a simple 'ls' on the site-packages folders I woul like to see the packages only and not 2 entries per
package.

An other option could be to put the egg-info dir into the package itself, e.g.

zlib/
   __init__.py
   egg-info/
       PKG-INFO
       MANIFEST
       RECORD

P.J. Eby wrote about the encoding of package and python version inside the egg-info directory name:
It's there so pkg_resources doesn't need to read the file in order to locate an available version of the package, just the listdir() that it was doing anyway. In other words, it's a performance optimization, and a pretty major one when you're building an Environment object to look for available package versions. Cuts down on a LOT of file opens in the case where you have a ton of .egg-info's in site-packages, like on a Linux system with Python 2.5.

If the location of the egg-info dir and the encoding of the python version and package version are only there for performance optimization reasons I'd suggest to really decouple optimization from file naming and having a caching directory that can compute an optimized representation once when an out-of-date situation is detected (e.g. when new packages are installed) making the optimization even faster, e.g. by having a file in suitable format instead of calling os.listdir() and iterating over the result.