On Sunday 05 April 2009 10:45:45 am Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> I would like to deprecate MANIFEST.in in Distutils, in favor of a
> package_data that can match directories with a glob-style pattern
> see : http://bugs.python.org/issue5302

Not all files that are released in an sdist would be considered for
installation (ala package_data). Think of top-level README, COPYRIGHT,
LICENSE or files (modules) used only by the setup.py script (ala custom
commands). It would become an abuse of a keyword `package_data` to indicate
files that are not actually *package* data.

Remember not all files are meant to be used by the Python code, some, like C
header files, would only be used at build time. This just strikes me as being
an over-simplification that really benefits no one.

Note, however, `sdist` does need to be updated to include more files
automatically, like the aforementioned C header files. With those fixes in
place, then, maybe, MANIFEST.in would not be required.

--
Jeremy Kloth
4Suite Developer        http://4suite.org/