At 01:03 PM 4/16/2009 -0400, Douglas Mayle wrote:
Hey everyone,
I'm having an annoying problem and I was directed here to see if you
knew what could be done.

I'm using distutils for my package instead of setuptools because it's
a command line app, and the half second that setup tools adds to each
launch for pkg_resource scanning is unacceptable.  I use the scripts
parameter, and it happily installs the script I expect and things are
running along.  If I try to use easy_install to install the package,
however, (and more importantly, if a user of mine does) it seems that
setuptools is monkeypatching the distutils module and replacing
setup.  This means that instead of just copying my script to bin,
setuptools is creating it's own script that does a pkg_resource scan
and then loads my script from the original location.  Is there any way
to ensure that I'm using the distutils.core.setup that I expect, and
not the one that setuptools monkeypatches into place?

Use "easy_install -eb. MyPackage" to download the source (which will be placed in a 'mypackage/' subdirectory, then change to that directory and run "setup.py install" to install using distutils instead of setuptools.