At 12:41 PM 9/17/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
Also, if I understand clearly the idea, I find it rather cryptic to
add conditions to each dependency
like what Sridhar has shown.

That's actually not how it would work; you simply put section headings inside the extras_require field, rather than having multiple sections in setup.cfg. Then, the "static metadata" is just the existing PKG-INFO format.

Setuptools already supports section headings in extras_require, it just doesn't (yet) automatically install the contents of those sections based on platform/python version; you'd have to explicitly request "easy_install somepackage[platform.win32,pyver-2.6]" at the moment. But adding automatic defaulting of those flags would be pretty trivial, once their format was officially defined.

See http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#declaring-extras-optional-features-with-their-own-dependencies for more details.