At 07:28 PM 10/12/2009 -0400, sstein...@gmail.com wrote:
we must "uninstall Distribute completely" get these fixes.

That's Distribute's doing, not mine. As I understand it, their package includes a 'setuptools' package, and if it's on your sys.path, then installing the new version of setuptools will be a no-op. If they hadn't done that, there'd be no problem. See the Distribute documentation.

In any case, the update is not intended for people who are happy to have Distribute, but the people who are unhappy about having to switch, or deal with its workarounds... or just wish the whole discussion would go away.

Then suddenly out of the blue

It may appear sudden to you, if you haven't been reading Python-Dev. There's been quite a bit of discussion about an urgent bug that Tarek introduced in Python 2.6.3. It's mainly because of that bug that I took the time to go ahead and get a bunch of other pending bugs cleaned up and checked in.