At 02:51 PM 10/13/2009 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
Really the run-time
code needed to support namespace packages should be split out into a
separate package and eventually added to the standard library.

Are you volunteering?  ;-)

Seriously, MvL's namespace package PEP (#382) already takes care of most everything that's needed. With it in place, the only advantage of setuptools' approach is the ability to add more items to a package __path__ after it's already imported. (i.e., the fixup feature.)

I heartily approve of that PEP, in case it's not obvious. I'd love to see it in Python 2.7, and will happily add support for it in setuptools 0.7.