At 10:46 AM 10/16/2009 -0400, sstein...@gmail.com wrote:
I don't know that I'd call what I saw "designed."   Complex, yes, but
design implies a plan and known direction, communicated by design
documents with tests that prove the code is working as expected.

This is not designed by any objective standard I'd use.

You are correct; setuptools itself was not particularly designed. Eggs are, entry points are, a few other odds and ends were designed, but setuptools itself (and *especially* easy_install) are a collection of hacks upon hacks, mostly done in a rush to get something out the door... which as soon as it became popular, locked into a cycle of not having enough time to do improvements, because maintenance was taking so much time.

Maybe PJE is some sort of savant who can keep the myriad details of a
piece of code like this in his head

Nope.  Why do you think I've not been thrilled about working on it?  ;-)