Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM, David Lyon <david.l...@preisshare.net> wrote:
> > So the packages on CPAN are typically of a higher quality, simply
> > because they've been machine checked. I like that.
>
> Speaking purely on hearsay, I don't believe that. In fact, I've heard
> plenty of laments about the complete lack of quality control on CPAN.

That's not inconsistent with CPAN having higher average quality than the
average quality of PyPI packages. It could merely mean that, as a result
of the awareness that CPAN packages are tested on upload, CPAN users
*expect* higher quality, and complain louder than PyPI users when they
find a low-quality package :-)

I think buildbot-style test runs for PyPI packages would raise average
package quality on PyPI.

--
 \       “Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except |
  `\        for that rare story of which you happen to have first-hand |