David Cournapeau wrote:

I don't understand what's there to buy. Several people reported
distutils errors without any backtrace, though a fair shared of those
were caused by our own extensions.

distutils specifically swallows exceptions and formats them for users by default. After all, it is trying to behave like a regular command line program that interacts with users, not developers. This is easily overridable for developers who are trying debug problems by setting the environment variable DISTUTILS_DEBUG=1. This will make distutils just give the traceback.

Is this what you are referring to?

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."