At 04:40 PM 11/19/2009 +0100, Fabrizio Pollastri wrote:
the source structure is the following.

    my_package_source_dir/
        common_files
        files_for_python
        files_for_jython

It will be a maximum, if distutils let me to reach the following goals.

1. python/jython setup.py sdist command has to build the distribution tar my_package.tar.gz containing all files required by python and by jython.

2. python setup.py install command has to install in the python package tree

   my_package_source_dir/
        common_files
        files_for_python

3. jython setup.py install command has to install in the jython package tree

   my_package_source_dir/
        common_files
        files_for_jython

It is possible to implement this behavior with the setup function of
distutils?

As long as the Python and Jython files are distinct packages or distinct top-level modules, you can simply pass different parameters to setup(), based on which platform you're on. (Specifically, changing the 'packages' and 'py_modules' parameters.)

(If you have to have different versions of the *same* packages or modules, it's a bit more difficult and the directory layout is more complex, but it can still be done.)