At 11:00 AM 1/8/2010 -0600, Brad Allen wrote:
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Lennart Regebro <rege...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just my 2 cents:
>
> - The definitions that Tarek proposed it exactly how I already use the words.
> - I think Python Project Index is a better name than Python Package
> Index. But Cheese Shop is still better. :)
>
> That's all I have to say about it. :-)

I also liked the 'CheeseShop' name, but what does that leave our
setup.py thingies being called? Cheeseballs, maybe?

> Consulting a thesaurus yields one word that nobody has proposed yet:
> "Parcel".  Helpfully, it still starts with "P", so we could rename it the
> "Python Parcel Index".  I have a dim memory hearing this word in a jargon-y
> context before, but it's certainly considerably more obscure than "package",
> "distribution", "archive", et cetera.
> Anybody else like that one?

Yes, very much. I like 'parcel' better than 'project', partly because
it's not already overload with other contextual meanings.

This is just another example of the degree of confusion around terminology here, because "parcel" isn't a substitute for "project": a "project" is something that you would release "parcels" *for*.