At 05:32 PM 1/10/2010 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:24, Brad Allen <bradallen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had thought 'egg' was just another distribution format, an
> alternative to tarball, etc. But I have heard people at my local user
> group use it to mean 'module distribution'.

Yeah, there is some confusion there. As I understand it, 'Egg' isn't
even a distribution format,

Right - it's an importable (i.e. addable-to-sys.path) binary distribution with project release metadata attached. .egg files, .egg directories, and "flat" installations with associated .egg-info directories are all "eggs".

(Also, since Python 2.5+ distutils generate .egg-info files, all distutils-installed module distributions from Python 2.5 on are technically eggs.)

and egg is a package that has extra
information.

Actually, it's a project release with extra information - packages may or may not be involved, since an egg may contain only a script or some modules.

There is also a distribution format, .egg, but a tarball
that includes a .egg-info directory is an egg.

Technically, the tarball *contains* an egg, but is not itself an egg, since it cannot be added to sys.path (at least not without using some PEP 302 and pkg_resources hooks that nobody has actually used yet, AFAIK).

 A tarball that doesn't,
but has a setup.py, is not an egg, but may be used to make it one.

Actually, if the tarball was generated by setuptools, then its contents may also be an egg (since as part of the sdist process, an .egg-info directory is generated.