At 01:55 AM 2/5/2010 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
I think it's still useful, because it points the root packages that
can be removed
safely without breaking the system -- even if leaving orphaned packages behind.

Any opinion ?

I think it's a good idea to have a way to tell what packages were *not* installed to satisfy dependencies.

Merely plotting the dependency graph doesn't tell you this, because you could have a non-root orphan - i.e., something that was installed to fill a dependency, but the depender(s) have now vanished.

I guess what I'm saying is, a thing that is not needed by anything else could either be an orphan (due to other uninstalls) *or* a root (manually chosen for install), and there is no way to tell them apart just by following the graph.