At 05:20 PM 2/22/2010 +0100, Jean Daniel wrote:
Hello, I am writing a pure python module called wordish, which is similar to doctest in that it test snippets of code, parsed from an rst article and produce a report. wordish is available on Pypi in version 1.0 and the documentation is available at jdb.github.com/wordish. So far, I only distributed one file, *wordish.py* and the file was used like the following:: Â Â Â python -m wordish my_article.rst I think I will turn to 'distribute' for the future release so that console entry points can be created automatically and installed in the shell path. I would like wordish to be used in this way:: Â Â Â wordish my_article.rst I have read the documentation for distutils, distribute but still, but the overlap that the tools, and the problems that each tool solve. Can my setup.py support the installation of the following files, or should they be included in debian/fedora packages instead? 1. few examples files? 2. static html documentation files? 3. man pages for the console scripts?

The distutils doesn't really support installing such things well; you can certainly include them in your *source* distribution, though.

Also, I upload a source distribution (sdist) to the Python Package Index 4. should I use an *egg* instead?

No, it's not necessary. Eggs are mainly useful as a drop-in-and-use format for application plugins (such as extensions to Chandler, Trac, and other plugin-enabled application environments), and distributing precompiled C extensions on certain platforms. easy_install and pip can both operate just fine on source distributions, and if your code is only pure Python, you don't need to distribute binaries.