What David said, plus:

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Steve Spicklemire <st...@spvi.com> wrote:

>> So, related question: Should the Mac binaries also work with the
>> python.org mac build?

Not sure what "also" is respect to, but the pyton.org builds are a good
common denominator:

The Apple builds have their issues:
  - Apple never upgrades them
  - You can't re-distribute them (build stuff with Py2app) .. at least
without violating copyright.

While it's appealing for people to not have to install anything, if they
are installing 3rd party packages  they are installing stuff, son one extra
install at the start is not a big deal.

So: if you are going to support one binary -- it should be the python.orgone.

It is a bit of a pain to build binaries for the Python.org builds, as they
are universal and support older OS versions.

Personally, I think we should address this by:

1) having a centralized project for building varios binary dependencies
that are compatible with the python.org builds -- why should multiple
package distributors all have to figure out how to build, e.g. freetype
correctly?

I've created a repo for this, but haven't gotten far:

https://github.com/MacPython/osxinst

let me know if you are interested in contributing.

2) Maybe it's time to put out an "official" python.org build that's
simpler: perhaps 10.7+ 64bit Intel only. But I'm not sure how many folks
still need 32 bit.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov