On 5 September 2015 at 14:24, Marcus Smith <qwc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't have a specific problem with the specs living somewhere else
>> as well, I just don't think moving a lengthy document full of edge cases
>> from one location to another is going to make things better
>
> If I may, I don't think that really captures Nick's idea.

Right, having more user friendly introductions on packaging.python.org
is a good idea, but it's a separate question. To address that specific
problem, we can paraphrase the semantic versioning compatibility
section from PEP 440:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#semantic-versioning

I filed a PR along those lines, inserting it as a new subsection under
"Configuring your project"

> I think it's about clearly distinguishing the following:
>
> 1) Current Specs (for metadata, versioning, pypi etc..)
> 2) Proposals to adjust or add to the Current Specs
>
> We don't have a clear distinction right now.   We just have a series of
> PEPs, and it's work to figure out where the actual current spec is at, in
> the noise of rationales and transition plans etc...
>
> - So, for #1, maintain documents in PyPUG
> - For #2, keep using PEPs
> - As PEPs are accepted, update the Spec docs (the version history can
> mention what PEP drove the change)

Right. Another potential benefit of this approach is that it means we
can more easily cross-link from the implementor facing specifications
to end user facing parts of the user guide - at the moment, there's no
standard discoverability path from PEPs like PEP 440 to
packaging.python.org at all.