On 30 January 2016 at 09:29, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think this is ready for pronouncement now -- thanks to everyone for
> all their feedback over the last few weeks!
>
> The only change relative to the last posting is that we rewrote the
> section on "Platform detection for installers", to switch to letting
> distributors explicitly control manylinux1 compatibility by means of a
> _manylinux module.

In terms of the proposal itself, I think this version is excellent :)

However, I realised that there's an implicit assumption we've been
making that really should be spelled out explicitly: manylinux1 wheels
targeting CPython 3.2 and earlier need to be compiled against a
CPython built in wide Unicode mode, and in those cases, the detection
of manylinux1 compatibility at the platform level should include
checking for "sys.maxunicode > 0xFFFF".

The main reason we need to spell this out explicitly is that while
distros (and I believe other redistributors) build CPython-for-Linux
in wide mode as a matter of course, a Linux checkout of CPython 2.7
will build in narrow mode by default.