Hi,

At Enthought we have been trying to use PEP 425 tags to include its
metadata in our packages. It has been harder than expected because of
missing information in PEP 425, and maybe inconsistencies with what pip
actually does.

I think PEP 425 should be updated to take into account pip actual
implementation:

1. python tag and pypy: the PEP says "the version is py_version_nodot .
CPython gets away with no dot, but if one is needed the underscore _ is
used instead. PyPy should probably use its own versions here pp18 , pp19 ".
This is not what pip does as of version 8.1.0 for pypy. Instead, the
version is python major + sys.pypy_version_info.major +
sys.pypy_version_info.minor.

2. It would be nice to know how to deal with other alternative
implementations as well. Would the scheme in 1. work for jython, etc... ?

3. The abi tag should at least be specified for cpython IMO. E.g. the
meaning of `m`, `u` and `d` should be clearly specified.

While the PEP mentions each implementation community is welcome to use the
abi tag as they wish, given that in practice it is defined in pip, I think
that should be specified as well.

Do the above make sense ? If so, I could spend some time to update it (or
create a new amending PEP ?)

thanks,
David