On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So perhaps I'm missing something, but why are we talking about trying
> to shoehorn a legacy design into Wheel? Why wouldn't we leave
> bdist_egg alone and start trying to find a better way to replace it?
> We could avoid over-complicating Wheel and we could spend time
> polishing whatever we come up with.

It is because wheel is almost identical to egg, but the name 'newegg' was
already in use by a major online retailer. Possibly adding the one missing
egg feature to wheel would save someone some time. Maybe you would want to
give 'extracted wheel in its own directory' a different name, or no name,
to avoid confusion.