On 2016-11-05 17:43:48 +1000 (+1000), Nick Coghlan wrote:
[...]
> Putting my work hat back on for a moment, I actually wish more people
> *would* start saying that, as Red Hat actively want people to stop
> running their own applications in the system Python, and start using
> Software Collections (either directly or via the Docker images)
> instead. Sharing a language runtime environment between operating
> system components and end user applications creates all sorts of
> maintainability problems (not least of which is the inability to
> upgrade to new feature releases for fear of breaking end user
> applications and vice-versa), to the point where Fedora is planning to
> cede the "/usr/bin/python3" namespace to end users, and start
> migrating system components out to "/usr/bin/system-python":
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/System_Python
[...]

It's a grey area, complicated by the fact that many people are
writing their software with the intent of also packaging it for/in
common distros and so want to make sure it works with the "system
Python" present within them. There it looks like Fedora is splitting
their Python-using packages along some arbitrary line of "is it a
system component?" vs. "is it a user-facing application?" which is
probably tractable given the (relatively) limited number of packages
in their distribution. I can't fathom how to go about trying to
introduce a similar restructuring in, say, Debian.
--
Jeremy Stanley