On Thu, Jul 6, 2017, at 10:40 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:
> It might be more natural to pass a build directory for intermediate build
> artefacts along with the wheel output directory to the build wheel hook. This
> would remove pip from an awkward position of managing a copy step in the
> middle of a build and would be more like out of tree builds in other build
> systems. For example in automake you do out of tree builds by making a new
> build directory and running the configure script from that directory instead
> of the source directory. With a fresh directory old builds don't get in the
> way.
I would also be happy with this. Though if you're trusting the backend to do a
tidy build, do you need to pass in a directory for intermediates at all? The
backend could just create a temporary directory itself.
I think Paul & Donald have been pretty adamantly against trusting backends to
build tidily, though. And this certainly doesn't do anything like Donald wants
to ensure that sdists don't omit key files.