On Mon, Jul 10, 2017, at 04:13 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> My apologies folks, this is an entirely irrelevant tangent brought on
> by my attempting to explain my own preference that source archives
> (including sdists) actually *be* source archives, containing solely
> the original software is *its preferred form for modification*.

I also agree with this view - ideally, I think there should be no
generated files in an sdist besides the metadata needed for tools
consuming it.

Many packages have included generated files to simplify building from an
sdist, but I see this as a symptom of poor infrastructure which we're
gradually fixing. In particular, before we had wheels, installing a
package nearly always meant building it, so there was a strong pressure
to do part of the build process before distributing the source.

I don't think it's practical to forbid generating files to put in the
sdist, but for pep517 I'd say it's appropriate to gently discourage it
by not providing a build directory to that hook. I'm not going to argue
hard for this if other people think the sdist hook needs that parameter,
though.

Thomas