Hi,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:30 PM, xoviat <xov...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For me, using NotImplemented is a misuse of the singleton since I know
>> what it's meant to be used for (and so I cringe every time I hear it brought
>> up as a solution).
>
> I hate to reiterate too much, but I think that you are correct here:
> NotImplemented is not Pythonic. It's a complete hack that I would think
> people would like to quarantine to the limited use case of binary
> operations. Even with the poorly contextualized email that Guido received, I
> think it was clear that he thought it wasn't appropriate outside of that use
> case either (I don't think better context would have changed that).
>
> Personally, I was willing to overlook that for the sake of a speedy
> resolution. But reading the email chain, it seems that only Thomas and
> Daniel are currently in favor of using NotImplemented, which is a shift from
> the earlier situation. So now it seems that NotImplemented is not likely to
> be used.

Just for the record, I thought Nathaniel's NotImplemented suggestion
was a good one, and his explanation of why, was clear and convincing,
but he's already accepted the alternative, of a custom error, so I
don't think there's much point on going back over that.

Also just for the record, I'd like to warmly thank y'all for your
great patience in this long discussion.

Cheers,

Matthew