On Oct 19, 2017 11:10, "Donald Stufft" <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

EXCEPT, for the fact that with the desire to cache things, it would be
beneficial to “hook” into the lifecycle of a package install. However I
know that there are other plugin systems out there that would like to also
be able to do that (Twisted Plugins come to mind) and that I think outside
of plugin systems, such a mechanism is likely to be useful in general for
other cases.

So heres a different idea that is a bit more ambitious but that I think is
a better overall idea. Let entrypoints be a setuptools thing, and lets
define some key lifecycle hooks during the installation of a package and
some mechanism in the metadata to let other tools subscribe to those hooks.
Then  a caching layer could be written for setuptools entrypoints to make
that faster without requiring standardization, but also a whole new, better
plugin system could to, Twisted plugins could benefit, etc [1].

In this hypothetical system, how do installers like pip find the list of
hooks to call? By looking up an entrypoint? (Sorry if this was discussed
downthread; I didn't see it but I admit I only skimmed.)

-n