My first impression of Zulip was "this feels like Slack". It is visually busier than Discourse, and I had a harder time understanding context. I had to step up the font twice to read it. I couldn't find how to hide the user list. I felt lost. Based on my first impressions, I probably wouldn't engage via Zulip.

I had a negative first impression with Discourse, too, as "yet another forum software", but it grew on me. Dozens of UX details were done just right, like "I wonder how I can do this thing... oh, there it is!". Or it could have been the Plone community is engaging, or a wealth of information already existed by the time I joined.

--steve

On 4/22/18 at 1:19 PM, w...@stevepiercy.com (Steve Piercy - Website Builder) pronounced:

I am an email and IRC recidivist. I have to admit that ever since I joined the Plone community forum which uses Discourse, I have been more engaged with that community than I would have otherwise. I can choose which topics interest me, forget the rest, and explore things that might interest me at some point in the future. It also has a wealth of information easily searchable and accessible.

I noticed that my wireless carrier uses Discourse as well, and I've found it exceptionally helpful to solve my phone problems quickly, compared to the phone manufacturer's craptastic help experience.

I haven't tried Zulip yet, but I just signed up to compare it to Discourse.

I don't know what challenges might be for self-hosting. Perhaps those who have experience with self-hosting either Discourse or Zulip could share?

--steve

On 4/21/18 at 11:51 PM, br...@python.org (Brett Cannon) pronounced:

I know this is no shock to Donald, but I agree with what he brings up
below. One of motivators for trying out python.zulipchat.com is to see if
it's real-time nature on top of topic-based discussion could act as a
cross-section for email and IRC.

For me, either something like Zulip or Discourse takes care of a lot of the
issues raised. They provide modern tooling, allow for a central place to
communicate, and allow for sectioning things into streams/sections to
prevent overwhelming e.g. a single mailing list.

Steve Piercy              Website Builder              Eugene, OR
<w...@stevepiercy.com>               <http://www.stevepiercy.com/>