I like to be able to diff the dotfiles in my home directory. Sometimes,
just copying from one machine to another clobbers useful/necessary machine
defaults (eg. $PATH).

I don't want to add my entire home directory to version control because
slow, so I wrote a shell script to copy existing files out of the way and
then symlink from e.g. ~/.bashrc to ~/-dotfiles/etc/bash. That way, I can
'cdd[otfiles]' (cd $__DOTFILES) and 'git status etc/.bashrc' and 'git diff'.

It's a shell script in order to avoid having a dependency on python on eg
mobile/embedded systems, but it does the job. I'm sure there are various
other approaches to managing dotfiles within version control.

https://github.com/westurner/dotfiles/blob/develop/scripts/bootstrap_dotfiles.sh#L278

Is being able to diff shell configuration a security advantage? You'd need
to be pretty sophisticated to be making changes on disk; such as dropping a
script or a binary with execute permissions into a directory at the top of
the $PATH.