On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 18:54, Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, at 2:52 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> > The various hooks take directory paths as arguments, and typically
> > return a filename (e.g., build_wheel). The returned filename is always
> > explicitly noted as being *a unicode string*. However, argumnents
> > (metadata_directory in build_wheel/prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel)
> > are *not* explicitly mandated to be Unicode.
> >
> > My assumption is that the intent is that *all* strings, whether
> > arguments or return values, must be Unicode.
>
> I'd say we should handle all paths the same way, i.e. unicode. If it's a
> serious obstacle, we could alter the specification. But I would be surprised
> if the required changes to the setuptools backend are so tricky that they
> warrant a workaround in the specification.

The required change to setuptools is pretty simple. What's tricky is
getting pip (in this case the test suite) to pick up an unreleased
version of setuptools so that I can continue work on pip's PEP 517
support. That's why I wanted to confirm that my assumption was
correct, so I could get a change into setuptools quickly.

Paul

Paul