Since zlib is a dependency of python, the assumption has to be that it is
already present.

I think you can look at the python docs for which versions of zlib you
should be dynamically linking against.  The docs state "There are known
incompatibilities between the Python module and versions of the zlib library
earlier than 1.1.3; 1.1.3 has a security vulnerability, so we recommend
using 1.1.4 or later."  So if I were linking against zlib, I would link
against 1.1.4.  However, I don't know if zlib has a stable abi... so take
that with a pinch of salt.