On 2018-11-30 15:35:10 +0000 (+0000), Paul Moore wrote:
[...]
> I certainly don't want to spark any sort of flamewar here, but I
> do feel a certain wry amusement that the term "DLL Hell" was
> invented as a criticism of library management practices on
> Windows, and yet in this context, library management on Windows is
> pretty much a non-problem, and it's Linux (that prided itself on
> avoiding DLL hell at the time) that is now struggling with library
> versioning complexity ;-)

You could look at it this way: "Linux" isn't an operating system,
it's just a kernel. GNU/Linux distributions are independent and
varied operating systems. If you needed to build packages which
could be installed on dozens of different competing Windows-based
operating systems all of whom recompiled Windows from source in
various ways with different features and random versions of system
libraries, the problem might look similar for the Windows ecosystem
as well. That Windows is a commercial product legally available
strictly in precompiled binary form from only one source is what
mostly saves it from this particular bit of fun.
--
Jeremy Stanley