> On Jan 29, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Xavier Fernandez <xav.fernan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I agree that such specifier would make little sense but why add a new syntax
> "foo-1 @ url" when "foo==1 @ url" (where ==1 is a version specifier as
> defined in PEP 508) would perfectly fit the bill ?

Well foo-1 wouldn’t work great because you can’t disambiguate between (“foo”,
“1”) and (“foo-1”, None). But the reason for using a different syntax would be
so people didn’t confuse the concept with the idea of version specifiers, since
>=1.0 doesn’t make sense, if we allow ==10, then people will assume they can
add >=10.0 and willet confused when it doesn’t work. A different syntax side
steps that issue.