On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 16:28, Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org> wrote:

> To be totally clear, and maybe this needs to be in the PEP (probably in
> three more various forms to make sure everyone gets it), you can emulate
> most of the PEP today with "pip install --target __pypackages__/3.7 ..."
> and "$env:PYTHONPATH = './__pypackages__/3.7'". Nothing else changes.
> The advantage is that even this amount of friction goes away.

Sorry for the drive-by comment (I don't have time to read the PEP
right now) but does this mean that "pip install --upgrade" won't be
supported against __pypackages__ directories (it currently doesn't
work properly with --target, IIRC - certainly *some* things go weird
with --target) or will the PEP include mechanisms to allow pip to work
more cleanly with __pypackages__ than it currently does with --target?

Paul